Hensons homesRenting FAQ's

Renting FAQ's

Property Management

Your Questions? Answered

We've tried to cover some of your questions here, but if you do have a question we haven't covered, contact us, and we will be happy to answer it.

Hensons Homes question 1


A holding deposit is what you pay to take a property off the market before you sign the tenancy agreement.

Once the holding deposit is paid, there will be no more viewings on the property and it won't be marketed to anyone else, meaning it’s provisionally ‘yours’.

The holding deposit is £100.00 and will be paid towards your first month's rent.

Hensons Homes question 2


By law, all deposits in the UK must be registered with a tenancy deposit protection scheme within 30 days of it being paid. Landlords have a choice of registering it with three Government-approved schemes: the Deposit Protection Service (DPS), MyDeposits, or The Dispute Service (TDS).

Deposit protection was set up in 2007 to protect tenants' rights and means that no money can be deducted from your bond without your input. A landlord or letting agent must “claim” money, and they must be able to prove that the works they carried out were caused by the tenants, or they will not win the money if it goes into dispute.

Hensons Homes question 10


You will need to complete a reference form, which will require the following information: • Addresses for the last 3 years.

• Current landlord/managing agents details.

• Employment details for last 3 years.

• Bank/Building society details.

• Two forms of id. plus photo id.

• Personal reference details.

• Guarantor may be required in certain circumstances.

Hensons Homes question 11


Ensure you fulfil your obligations stated in the tenancy agreement to leave the property in the condition it was in at the start, or deductions will be made from your deposit.

These will include thorough cleaning of the property and receipt of final bills from all utility companies and local council tax.

If you have moved furniture, return it to where you found it at the time of the inventory.

Hensons Homes question 5


Let Only properties should be paid direct to the landlord, for all managed properties we collect the rent on behalf of the landlord by standing order, paid by the tenants on the 1st of each month.

Tenants are responsible for setting up the utilities for the property and are liable for all bills, TV licence including council tax

Hensons Homes question 6


Maintenance for 'Let Only' properties should be reported to the landlord direct. Any problems within Managed properties should be reported to Hensons Homes.

We will always endeavour to deal with reports in the fastest possible time to limit any inconvenience to our tenants.

Please refer to our maintenance web page for further details.

Hensons Homes question 12


Under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, tenants are responsible for carrying out minor maintenance to a property, such as

Changing lightbulbs.

Topping up boiler pressure.

Unblocking toilets and drains.

Regulating condensation levels to prevent mould build-up.

Heating the property during the winter to make sure the pipes don't freeze;

Keeping the property clean and tidy, including recycling properly and throwing away all rubbish.

Tenants are also responsible for reporting other maintenance issues in a timely manner so that the landlord can deal with any issues before they get worse.

Hensons Homes question 8


A landlord is responsible for ensuring that the structure of the house is sound and that it's fit to live in. This includes making sure the property has the following:



Hot water.

No safety hazards.

Sanitation and sewerage.

Regular (typically annual) checks for gas, fire and electrical safety.

A HMO licence, if it is a licensable property.

Hensons Homes question 9


Your tenancy agreement is not just a contract allowing you to live in a property if you pay your rent on time.

It's a Joint Assured Shorthold Tenancy, which also sets out the responsibilities of the tenants regarding actions to be taken by the tenant in terms of maintenance works and paying bills.

It's also an agreement that you'll all live in a 'tenant-like manner', look after the property, pay your rent and bills on time.